Your customers and potential customers are searching for you online. Can they find you? Learn why it’s important to show up in search engine results and how to get your business there.
- Before You Start: You have a business. You may already have an online business presence, or you may be ready to start building your online business presence.
- Learning level: 1 | Social Media Basics
- Article Last Updated: Sunday, March 23, 2014
Google Is The New Yellow Pages
Until a few years ago, anyone who was looking for a business product or service used the phone book to find it. The phone book was the go-to place for reliable business information.
Google has become the new yellow pages.
Today, when people are looking for information about a business, they use the internet to search for it. Whether they choose Google, Bing, or another search engine, the truth is that they are looking for your business online.
If you haven’t been keeping up with business technology, you may be surprised to discover this.
People Are Searching For Your Business
The question you need to ask yourself is: Can potential customers find my business online?
But the problem is bigger than new customers. Your current customers are also searching for you online.
- Mayve they can’t find your business card.
- Maybe they have forgotten your exact address.
- Maybe they want to call to see if you sell something specific they need.
Can your customers find you online?
And if they can’t find you, are they going to find one of your competitors?
Getting Found Online
There are several ways your business can be found online.
- Build a business website. The best way to get your business online is to invest in a business website. A website lets you tell the story of your business to your target audience. You can explain your products and services in a way that attracts new business.
- Add your business to an online map. If you have a physical location, you can add your business to the online map services. This way, people can not only find your business online, they can get driving directions and a brief business overview.
- Create a company page on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is a powerful tool for connecting people and making recommendations. Create your personal profile, and then add a company page so people can locate your business from any employee’s profile.
- Get recommended on local review sites. Many business people run in fear from local review sites like Yelp and Citysearch. However, they are a great way for people to learn more about your business, especially when you maintain your business profile.
You may discover that some of these services already have basic information about your business. Don’t stop with that! Each site allows the business owner to claim the business listing. This lets you decide what to say about your business, and lets you fill in the details so people have a clear and accurate picture of your business.
It’s up to you to do everything you can to get your business found online.